Hip Hop Caucus is a national, non-profit and non-partisan organization that connects the Hip Hop community to the civic process, builds power and creates positive change. We advocate for democracy and voting rights, climate change, and social & economic justice both in policy and through our grassroots infrastructure. Our grassroots, Leadership Committees set local agendas and shape local strategies to engage people in their cities through culture.
- We organize 14 – 40 year-olds, who identify with Hip Hop Culture, and share values of justice and equity. We connect the Hip Hop community to the political process to build power and create change.
- We create platforms for cultural and grassroots leaders to use their voices, creative talents, and networks to educate, energize and mobilize people and communities.
- Through partnerships with artists, creatives, celebrities, and media we create content and share it through cultural channels reaching millions of people and inspiring action. It’s not only large audiences that we engage, we are intentional about engaging our communities on the frontlines of injustice.
- We source solutions for local to global challenges from our communities, and advocate for them to decision-makers and influencers. We partner with a broad range of organizations, and we have a respected presence in the halls of the U.S. Congress, Federal Agencies, State Legislatures, and the United Nations.
As Hip Hop Caucus approaches its 20th anniversary, we are looking for an experienced Deputy Development Director to support the organization during an exciting period of growth.
Responsibilities include providing oversight of departmental operations and high-level support for its strategic functions. In its critical role, the Development Team regularly works alongside the organization’s executive leadership as a thought partner, and such collaboration requires solid internal communication and coordination.
The Development Team is responsible for fundraising for Hip Hop Caucus Education Fund, a 501(c)3, and our partner 501(c)4, Hip Hop Caucus Action Fund.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Development/Fundraising – 50%
- Support the cultivation and stewardship of critical institutional and individual prospects by other members of the senior staff by participating in each step of the donor pipeline, including identification; qualification through research; cultivation; briefing; requests for support; prompt follow-up, stewardship, and recognition.
- Build relationships with external funders through meetings, correspondence, and regular communication.
- Maintain the senior leadership team’s list of prospects, donors, and partners for regular correspondence and engagement at high-level events.
- Leverage the EveryAction database to design and implement targeting techniques, with an emphasis on increasing giving, for various donor segments
- Support the department’s expansion by coordinating unique donor-led fundraising activities with regional supporters, giving circles, and third-party supporters (progressive bloggers, influencers, etc.)
Development Operations – 50%
- Manage the Development Coordinator & Consultants
- Oversee the monthly reconciliation, grant record keeping, and other key work in collaboration with the Finance department,
- Oversee moves management tracking and revenue reporting for our portfolios and support overall development reporting for the organization.
- Provide oversight for the project management of grant applications, ensuring that proposals are thoughtfully developed, reviewed, and submitted on time with all supporting materials
- Oversee the documentation, tracking, and management of all prospects, generating status reports, trend analysis, and revenue projections.
- Identify new institutional donors and prospective funding opportunities that align with our current work and develop strategies for senior leadership team members to engage them proactively
- Collaborate with colleagues across departments to enhance donor relationships, create greater fundraising and outreach possibilities, and ensure alignment on key messaging and strategies.
- A passion for Hip Hop Caucus’ mission and for working collaboratively and nimbly in a fast-paced environment
- Values and encourages diversity of thought, backgrounds, and perspectives
- Solid judgment, including handling sensitive information
- Excellent at working in a networked & virtual team environment
- Ability to multitask while maintaining vigilant attention to detail in a fast-paced working environment
- Able to adapt quickly to changing circumstances.
- Strong organizational and collaboration skills, with experience setting up systems and processes to ensure robust grants management processes across teams.
- Commitment to collaborating with cross-departmental staff to understand the needs and strategy they want to resource and the ability to navigate complex conversations
- 5 – 10 years of experience meeting ambitious annual targets in Fundraising and Development or Nonprofit Management
- Development Interest and Expertise: A genuine interest in identifying, cultivating, and acknowledging high-capacity supporters to advance our mission.
- Persuasive Writing and Critical Thinking Skills: Ability to manage multiple high-level writing assignments at once and capacity to craft donor outreach materials.
- Dependable & Detail Oriented: Self-directed and demonstrated ability to manage their work independently. Strong project management skills, for example, the ability to plan meetings from beginning to end, schedule through, and report back on the next steps.
- Creative Problem Solver: Problem-solving skills and ability to navigate through multiple staff teams to resolve.
- Management Experience: At least 1-2 years of experience managing direct reports
- Technology Comfort: Technical fluency in utilizing spreadsheets, databases, and new and different online portals with close attention to detail. Excel and Google Suite experience required.
- Familiarity with EveryAction or other constituent relationship management software
- Experience managing grant applications and reports
- Experience working with major donors
- Sense of humor
Compensation and Benefits
This position is based ideally in or near Washington, D.C. or Los Angeles, CA. The salary range for this role is $90,000-$110,000 annually based on experience and qualifications. Hip Hop Caucus also offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package, including health, dental, and vision insurance, vacation days, sick time, an IRA match plan, life insurance, and flexible spending accounts.
Hip Hop Caucus is an equal opportunity employer. HHC prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or any other basis prohibited by law.