Hip Hop Caucus is a national, non-profit and non-partisan organization that connects the Hip Hop community to the civic process, builds power and creates positive change. We advocate for democracy and voting rights, climate change, and social & economic justice both in policy and through our grassroots infrastructure. Our grassroots, Leadership Committees set local agendas and shape local strategies to engage people in their cities through culture.
- We organize 14 – 40 year-olds, who identify with Hip Hop Culture, and share values of justice and equity. We connect the Hip Hop community to the political process to build power and create change.
- We create platforms for cultural and grassroots leaders to use their voices, creative talents, and networks to educate, energize and mobilize people and communities.
- Through partnerships with artists, creatives, celebrities, and media we create content and share it through cultural channels reaching millions of people and inspiring action. It’s not only large audiences that we engage, we are intentional about engaging our communities on the frontlines of injustice.
- We source solutions for local to global challenges from our communities, and advocate for them to decision-makers and influencers. We partner with a broad range of organizations, and we have a respected presence in the halls of the U.S. Congress, Federal Agencies, State Legislatures, and the United Nations.
Hip Hop Caucus is hiring a Digital Video Producer to create content for the organization’s departments, campaigns, and initiatives. The Digital Video Producer is a dynamic, creative storyteller who can envision the final piece from initial concept discussions. This role requires someone who is a motivated self-starter who takes initiative, thinks strategically, and can thrive in a team environment with many moving parts and deadlines. The ideal candidate has noteworthy experience in content production, including but not limited to: shooting, video editing, packaging for different use cases, distribution, and working with talent from start to finish to get the best possible content.
Essential duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Ability to develop innovative and creative video content for multiple platforms on a daily basis to support the work of Hip Hop Caucus’s four platforms: Respect My Vote!, Think 100%, Good Trouble Dept., and Justice Paid In Full.
- Source, edit and assemble raw footage and photos into high-quality videos
- Maintain assets in content management systems.
- Manage post-production workflow from ingesting, transcoding, editing, grading, compression, exporting & final delivery.
- Support the team in identifying on-screen talent, and as-needed serve as on-screen talent for our content.
- Arranges and conducts live and recorded interviews.
- Support Digital and Production Departments with writing scripts for video.
- Direct on-screen talent with the assistance of the Digital and Production Departments.
- Create and edit other production aspects, including audio, visual effects and graphics.
- Gather information through research, interviews, experience, or attendance at rallies, town halls, voter drives, panels, etc.
- Reviews copy and ensures accuracy in content, grammar, and punctuation following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines.
- Determines a story’s emphasis, length, and format and organizes material accordingly.
- Work with contracted videographers and editors in providing direction and feedback.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in film, visual design, communications, journalism, or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years experience creating, shooting, and editing video for digital delivery and social platforms
- Demonstrated experience in writing scripts for visual stories including video and infographics
- Understanding of pre-production and post-production workflows
- Solid technical knowledge of the spectrum of video production equipment (iPhone, Nikon, Canon, Black Magic Camera)
- Demonstrated experience cutting digital ads, short & long form branded content, & energetic videos.
- Incredible attention to detail with regards to color accuracy & sound design.
- Ability to create engaging motion videos from still images.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Self-starter work ethic with a passion for creating engaging, exciting, & impactful video content.
- Meets deadlines and is an active contributor in a remote environment
- Well-versed in Final Cut, Premiere Pro, After the Effects, or Adobe Creative Suite Tools
- Editing/writing skills and good editorial judgment, including the ability to make tough calls in short turnaround times
- Absolute knowledge and passion for Hip Hop culture and an authentic interest in social advocacy
- Ability to foster a collaborative work environment via strong listening and communication skills
- Premium content development and distribution experience a plus
Compensation & Benefits
This position is based ideally in or near Washington, D.C. or Los Angeles, CA. The salary range for this role is $75,000-90,000 annually based on experience and qualifications. Hip Hop Caucus also offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package, including health, dental, and vision insurance, vacation days, sick time, an IRA match plan, life insurance, and flexible spending accounts.
Hip Hop Caucus is an equal opportunity employer. HHC prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or any other basis prohibited by law.